Anal cancer is over 35% more prevalent in gay men – 80% more prevalent for HIV+ men – and yet the shame of talking about having a simple male pap smear exam is avoided because of the shame of having a medical conversation about our ass. It’s really ironic, since gay men – many men in general – are big ass fans. Well, it’s high-time we seriously talk ass health.Gay African and Latino-American men have the highest increase for anal cancer and the lowest survival rates for the disease. Before the medical community included female pap smears for women over 18, cervical cancer had a higher death rate as well. The pap smear exam – for both men and women – screens for the HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) one of the most common STDs in the world. To set you gentlemen at ease, the exam uses an eight inch q-tip (Dacron swab) inserted only 4 inches into your anal canal to collect a swab of cells. The exam is relatively pain free. Anal cancer is highly preventable and very treatable if caught in time.
So here are the facts…
** If you are a man who has sex with men, you should have a male pap smear
** If you have a history of anal or genital warts you should have a male pap smear
** 65% of men – 95% of HIV+ men – carry HPV in their anal canals
** There are more than 100 different subtypes of HPV
** HPV Subtypes 6 & 11 cause 90 percent of genital warts
** Subtypes 16 & 18 are far more dangerous because of their precancerous potential
We’ve become a community that openly speaks about our sexual trysts and the beauty of our bodies. Let’s become a community that also talks about keeping our bodies – and those of our family and friends – healthy for years to come.
With the splendid tribute done for Michael Jackson on MTV’s Video Music Awards, I wanted to take a look back at how Michael used to look in the 1970’s and 80’s and right before his death. We can’t do anything about the skin disorder but I mean Joseph really worked a number on all his kids because all but two (Tito, Jackie and maybe Rebbie) had some kind of cosmetic surgery.
You are truly missed MJ.
If you missed it on TV, here is the full Michael Jackson Tribute done at the MTV Video Music Awards.
Janet rocked the shit at the end! Michael would be so proud of “Dunk” (nickname he gave Janet).
As many of you know, I’m part of an organization for people of color called ONYX. Our home bar is the Atlanta Eagle and has been since ONYX SE was founded back in 1999. This past Thursday, Atlanta Police decided to raid the bar because of a “tip” sent to the Mayor that there was adult entertainment without a license, drugs, and more stuff. All of the patrons there were searched face down on the ground and were confronted by hostile police officers.
It’s becoming more and more obvious that Atlanta and its officers are just a bunch of shits! With crime spiraling out of control in Atlanta (i.e. murders, robberies, carjackings..just to name a few), they want to raid a gay bar? Give me a fucking break!
The leather community, along with the gay community, is having a rally at the Eagle on Sunday at 5pm. If you can make it, please do so. Below is more information!
ATLANTA, GA–On Thursday, September 10, the Atlanta Police Department raided the Atlanta Eagle, a bar catering to Atlanta’s gay community, arresting staff members and allegedly rough-handling and harassing patrons. This action is believed to be expressly targeted at the gay community of Atlanta, and without sufficient basis for the severity of the raid and search action.
An independent rally-style demonstration in protest of these actions is scheduled for Sunday, September 13, assembling at 5:00 p.m. in the Atlanta Eagle parking lot (off Argonne Ave. behind Ponce de Leon Ave.). After a short summary statement, those who were allegedly harassed during the incident will be invited to share their stories, if they wish to do so.
Following this, the group plans to conduct a short, peaceful march to the steps of City Hall East at 675 Ponce de Leon Ave., for reading of one or more additional prepared statements. A statement by a representative of GLBTATL will specifically address the conduct of Atlanta Police Department officers in this incident, and will include an open invitation to APD to address these issues in a civil and direct manner. (Candidates for municipal offices will also be invited to speak at this time.)
LOCAL CANDIDATES ASKED TO RESPOND:
We are asking members of, and candidates for, Atlanta City Council district 6 and at-large posts to attend the demonstration to show their support for Atlanta’s LGBT community; or if that is not possible, that they issue official statements in response to this incident.
We are asking the candidates for Mayor of Atlanta to address the issue during their debate on public safety being held the same day (coincidentally sponsored by the Atlanta Police Foundation). That debate will air live on WSB-TV 2 and WSB-AM 750 at 6:30 p.m.
The organizers would like to give special thanks to City Council candidates Miguel Gallegos (for district 6) and Shelitha Robertson (for post 3 at-large) for their assistance to the Atlanta Eagle and their employees.
Media are encouraged to attend. For more information, see GLBTATL.org <http://glbtatl.org/> , or call 888-GLBT-ATL (888-452-8285). Calls will be routed directly to the event organizers.
I’m sure many of my readers have dealt with this in one way or another.
Here is a classic instrumental from the one and only Barry White and his Love Unlimited Orchestra. This performance was recorded in Mexico in 1976!
Janet breaks her silence and speaks about Michael and more with Bazaar magazine. The issue is on newsstands in a week!
“The last time Janet saw Michael was on May 14, two days before her 43rd birthday. It was a family celebration, the Jackson kids were running around, and she and her big brother hung out, ate Thai food, and tormented each other. “We had so much fun that day,” she says, her soft voice almost inaudible. “We kept calling each other after and saying how great it was.”
“I’ve always been a tomboy,” she says. “I’ve always liked to wear red, black, and white, and mostly pants.” Her brother, of course, shared a love for the same palette. She lights up when she talks about Michael’s style. “My brother is, I mean was…” She shifts on the couch and stares at the floor. “You have to forgive me, because it’s really hard to believe he’s passed. He’d have the same red shirt, the same black pants, the same white T-shirt. Mike was very simple. When I was 14 years old, I would shop for him. [Michael was then 21 and a megastar.] I washed his clothes, cleaned his room. When Mother would go out of town, she’d say, ‘I’m leaving you in charge. Take care of Mike.’ I would head home from school, see what he needed, then go straight to the stores.” She giggles a little and says, “You know something else? He loved to wear his shoes all the way down. His penny loafers would have huge holes in the bottom.”
You can view the whole interview by clicking here!
This classic song was huge hit and very controversial (at the time during the mid 1970’s) for its racy ad libs, and “raunchy” performance. She sang this song often at many shows before she found Jesus. LOL.
For you Beyonce’ fans, she sampled this song for her song “Naughty Girls”.
I read this blog entry from “TheGayte-Keeper” and I thought it was very thought provoking. Check it out and let me know your thoughts on it!
When it comes to GAY men and we see each other, some of us are upfront and honest…and others lie, and we make it SO easy for the rest to hide from the truth. Isn’t it sad that in some ways, the way we treat each other is expected? But I’ve often find that what we shun is an indication of what we are insecure about, and where we harbor shame.
WITH THIS IN MIND, LET’S TAKE A LOOK @ 7 TYPES OF GAY MEN THAT SCARE THE F&CK OUT OF THE GAY COMMUNITY:
- THE NON-BOYFRIEND BOYFRIEND: We’ve all met him. He’s cute, smart, funny with a smile or a smell or a groove or an anything that makes you crazy. He seems to dig on you, too. So much so that you go to movies and parties and the park together. You’re each others’ instant plus ones whenever the occasion arises. He knows your IM password; you’ve learned the lyrics to his favorite song. All of your free time is his and his yours. It’s just you and him unless you’re traveling to an event together. His friends like you. Your friends frequently ask to be filled in on the status of your relationship. But, alas, there is nothing to report. Is it a platonic friendship, which can exist even when intimacy is involved? Are you best friends forever? Is he the romantic possibility you’ve been waiting for? Or, is it too soon to tell? Though this type of man can yield some very good times, he is still one the most feared men out there to GAY men.
- HOT, GAY & SUCCESSFUL: Sometimes you meet a GAY man who immediately engages you. You’re taken by his energy, his good looks…his kindness. He talks to you, not @ you. He ask questions, is genuinely interested in finding out about you. You learn about him, he has a GREAT job, has loads of friends, always doing interesting things. And most of all he wants to include you, so what do you? Make the mistake that such a man is TOO good for you so you place him in a class higher than you…which makes sense because why be with someone who you don’t feel is your equal?
- TOO UGLY TO DATE: Can someone tell me why when a friend of ours is talking about some guy that they feel would make a good catch for us, most of us ask how does he look? Now this question isn’t necessarily a bad one, but why does it matter how cute a man is? I’ve heard many say an ugly man sure is sweet in the sack and in my days of playing the field; I NEVER had sex with a man that others deemed ugly to find out if that saying is true. I did it because as far as I see it, intimacy has NO eyes OR beauty. So sad that this is another GAY man that can’t get his because of how other GAY see him…
- THE FAT GAY MAN: There SO many reasons we find ourselves attracted to someone, but when it comes to the GAY man that has a little more to love, we find out just how shallow AND ugly we GAY men can really be. SO many GAY men that don’t carry a six-pack OR can wear skinny jeans are treated like pariahs in the community. Why you may ask? Well it is due to the fact that society has deemed them unfit physically which makes them impossible to love. So can imagine how a GAY man with extra meat on his bone is treated in the body-obsessed gay world? Body image issues and insecurities are widespread and it is killing our community. Why can’t we appreciate the GAY man who wears his weight with pride?
- THE GAY MAN 40 & OVER: So many of us tell ourselves that we will NOT date man over the age of 40. So when this happens we reduce the SMALL community of eligible men even smaller. Such a shame I say because most of us feel that as long as I can get someone younger, that’s better. SO sad that in order to attract guys and prevent automatic dismissal, a hot 50-year-old with a hot pic may choose to say he’s 35, so that guys will at least give him a chance. Because he is buying into the general assumption that most GAY men prefer younger men. This definitely speaks to our sexualization of youth, and the insecurity and lack of esteem experienced by older gay men. Sad, isn’t it?
- THE FEMININE GAY MAN: Isn’t it insane how so many put each other in two different categories? Either we are labeled as MASCULINE or FEMININE with the latter being seen as less than. How are GAY men that carry themselves in this manner get to be public enemy #1 is beyond me. How can we continue to live in a community that bashes GAY men that are seen as feminine? What makes him less a man ? Moreover what makes you more of a man? I thought ALL GAY MEN represented something different, something special…something GOD fearing? Why be individuals that are trying to be someone playing the majority?
- THE GAY MAN: You know him, you pray to GOD for him, you talk about him and see him in your dreams…but you don’t want him…Why? Well let’s just say that he is the opposite of what you think a GAY man should be. He LOVES himself, knows his place AND what he wants for the future. He is that GAY man that knows that a smooth road never makes a good driver and a smooth sea never make a good sailor. But you call him a fake, a know-it-all because he can tell you what you are doing that is hurting your soul. Yet in all your negativity he would die for the community. He is PASSIONATE N’ UNIQUE because he is everything you want him to be AND none of things you feel he is…